Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Thing #18

 I have found that when it comes to these blog activities I always try to figure out how I could use this new technology in my classroom, or with my students. Well I am not sure I really like either one of these sites for classroom use, but at the same time I understand that many young people are actively on these sites and it would probably be the easiest way to keep in touch with them. 
Right now for my "class" I am teaching 3rd. I don't know to many 3rd graders that are on facebook or twitter, but their parents are. If I was require to use these two sites I would probably set up class accounts, "MrsT'speeps" this is a link to my facebook account http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo . I would keep updated activities and information about what we are covering in each subject. It would also allow the students to log-on and check their daily folders to make sure they are working on the right material. If a student is out it will help the parents see what was missed and they would be able to contact other students if they are not understanding the material that was missed/reviewed. 
One thing I really disliked is all the drama that goes along with social networking. If you accept a friend and they end up bring negative energy to a page then you are left with that all over your wall, plus you never know what kids may say.The biggest problem is how easy it is to put FALSE information or FAKE PROFILE information out there.  They haven't learned that when something is put onto the internet then it is up there forever, even after you remove it from your page it can still be out there. 
Another negative feedback with twitter is, you are only allowed 140 characters, not much can be said in such a small number. It does allow you to hyperlink to other pages but I would really like to know more about the topic before being moved to another page, but I guess it is enough to try and find keywords. 
Overall I guess both of these sites can be used in a classroom environment but personally I don't really want such young studnets (some without proper supervision) out on the social networking sites. TO MUCH CAN HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment